Presentation from our Annual Team Offsite at Stinson Beach in July 2017 included below.
This shares some of our internal discussions on how we’re starting think about evaluating new types of crypto projects + assets.
As an active investor in startups built around open source software, we’re increasingly excited about new + interesting business models to support community activity and have been participating in the cryptocurrency space since WordPress.com started accepting Bitcoin in November 2012.
As a firm focused on pre-seed and seed investing, we believe there will continue to be opportunities for venture capital firms to invest the initial startup capital into new crypto projects (as part of an initial equity financing or as part of an agreement in exchange for future protocol tokens.)
We’re interested in potential opportunities in:
- Decentralized applications (ie projects like FunFair for Decentralized Gaming)
- Enabling infrastructure (ie projects like 0x (Decentralized for Trading Tokens) or zCash (Blockchain + technology focused on privacy + selective transparency)
In particular, in potential crypto investments we’re looking for:
- Applications that truly need to be distributed (“Need to be built on a blockchain”)
- Solid technical team (with expertise across Internet infrastructure and crypto)
- Utilization Token tied to business model
- Potential for Strong Network Effects
If you think you’d be a fit with our portfolio based on the above information, please reach out – it’d be great to learn more.